Canatuan Mine Sulphide Tailings Storage Facility Dam
- Sulphide Tailings Storage Facility Dam Design and Construction
- Large Embankment Dam
- Flooded Impoundment for ARD Mitigation
- Large Excavated Spillway Through a Rock Ridge Upstream of Right Abutment of Dam
- Design for Significant Seismicity
- Embankment Core uses Moisture Sensitive Tropical Residual Soils
Client: TVI Resource Development (Phils.) Inc.
Location: Zamboanga del Norte, Philippines
Completion Date: Ongoing
Project Description: The Canatuan Sulphide Tailings Storage Facility is a valley type impoundment contained behind a large, cross valley, zoned earthfill/rockfill embankment dam. The dam has been raised in stages using the downstream method. Stage 3 of the dam has been completed to a height of 70 m, but the definition of additional ore reserves indicates that further tailings capacity will be needed. Stage 4 is being planned to a height of 85 m.
Knight Piésold’s Role: Knight Piésold has provided oversight of construction and quality assurance (QA) services as well as design updates and operational assistance, including reviews of instrumentation records since 2008. The construction QA records and results of instrumentation indicate that the dam has been constructed and is performing in accordance with industry standards and the design intent.