N2 Wild Coast Highway
N2 Wild Coast Highway Section 20 between the Msikaba River Bridge and the Mtentu River Bridge
The project is located in the Ingquza Hill Local Municipality in the OR Tambo District in the Eastern Cape.
The major aspects of this project include the following:
- Construction of new greenfield portion of the N2 Wild Coast Toll Highway between the Msikaba River Bridge and the Mtentu River Bridge
- Pedestrian and livestock walkways within and across the road reserve
- Community access roads adjacent to the new route, all to be constructed using community development methodology
- Drainage structures and ancillary works required for efficient functioning of the highway, both inside and outside the road reserve, if and where required
- New bridges, including a bridge over the KwaDlambu River
- Structures for accesses (vehicular, pedestrian and livestock), retaining and slope stability measures, and overhead signs
- Relocation of inhabitants from within the national route road reserve to pre-determined sites outside the road reserve
Knight Piésold’s Role
- Design and construction supervision of the N2 freeway. The portion of freeway exiting the two bridges will be designed and constructed to a dual carriageway, with the remaining sections designed to a single carriageway with occasional climbing lanes. This project will form part of the main work’s contract and will also include all related structures (i.e., overpasses, underpasses, drainage structures [culverts and bridges])], as well as two major interchanges.
- Managing of a consulting engineering targeted enterprise, who will be responsible for the design of the access roads. Access roads of various classes will be designed and constructed along the length of the N2 freeway, which will provide access to either side of the freeway.
- Managing the contract for the relocation of approximately 15 properties and approximately 80 graves. This contract will include the relocation of inhabitants, structures, animals, and graves.